Saturday, January 14, 2006

DELL offers arriving - which one is the less worse...?

Last week I got two DELL prospects arriving on the same day. One was targetted at my business partner, who has bought a DELL computer last year, and one was targetted at myself. I never bought any DELL computer and their chances of me doing so, just got less. But interesting those prospects are! - to say it Yoda-like. ;-)

The prospect with my name on it (remember: both arrived at our office headquarter the same day, January 7th 2006) has 8 pages. The one with my partners name on it has a "whopping" 24 pages. So, they think he is likely to buy another computer I guess, while they just try to get me.

Now, I look at the cover of my prospect and I see an offer for a DellTM DimensionTM 3100. It comes with a P4 630, Windows® XP Professional, 512 MB RAM, a 160GB hard drive, and a 17" TFT display. All for 599 Euro (plus tax).
599€ incl. TFT


So, what do they have for my partner? Well, it is a DellTM DimensionTM 3100 Desktop. It comes with a P4 640, Windows® XP Professional, 1024 MB RAM, a 160GB hard drive, and no monitor/TFT. All for 499 Euro (plus tax).
599€ incl. TFT


Now, I'll leave it up to you to decide which offer is the better one (click on the images for full cover scans), but I think those differences quite interessting. DELLs pricing politics always sturdled me, but this almost tops it. For a note, when my partner bought his computer he got five different offers (the same day) when browsing the DELL page. All setups where, in the end, exactly alike, but the prices differed between aprox. 1000 Euro and 1450 Euro - almost 50% difference for the same computer with all the same gimmicks. Okay, the more expensive offers did not include a DELL printer, which will go up on ebay at some point, but who cares ;-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cheaper one (w/o the monitor) has also a DVD writer and a card reader, so the pricing is hardly comparable, imho.

btw: I bought two DELL 21" TFT monitors (1600x1200) last year with a 25% discount - great product for a great price.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Daniel "sakura" Wischnewski said...

You are right, I forgot to mention those two, which value amounts to about 50 to 60 Euro. But I did not want to compare those, just to think about which person gets which kind of ads from DELL. I think they have a strange way of doing their ads ;-) But anyway, I wouldn't buy DELL for myself a second time. Had a laptop once, not again.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Search WWW Search delphi-notes.blogspot.com